Sunday, January 19, 2014

28 weeks away

It really does feel like it’s been forever since I actually signed up for this daunting race. As I think back to signing up in late July last year, my thoughts immediately dwell on the amount of potential progress I could have made since then…progress I kind of lament not making even a little bit. Yeah, that’s right. I was a complete bum! The start of this 27-week training schedule is one I look upon as a definitive starting line. That said, I’ve begun my transformation from layman to Ironman…

I basically started Friel’s training plan last week with abbreviated intensities and distances. The first week on the 27th this month begins with 11-14 hours total training volume, and last week I did about five to six hours. After one whole week, I’m exhausted. As far as food goes, I feel like I’ve done a great job replacing the unhealthy stuff with the good, and I shifted when I eat it—a larger meal for breakfast, a medium to large one for lunch and just a little bit for dinner about three hours before bed.

Lois doesn’t like my new sleep cycle. I can’t say I blame her, as she’s a light sleeper, and it’s costing her sleep. The first time I got up in the three o’clock hour the cat was immediately programmed with a new wake up time. Ever since then, she knocks stuff off the dresser, rustles paper or plastic, jumps at door levers and generally tries to wake Lois up. After all, three o’clock is the new wake up time, so why is Lois still sleeping? I really do feel bad for her because I sleep like a rock. There are days when she has to nudge or outright push me to go shut the alarm clock off, not because I don’t want to, but because I don’t hear it. Wow, does that make her mad! Anyway, her relationship with the cat in the pre-dawn hours is a love-hate one.

Even Saturdays are not free from the ridiculousness of this new schedule. After a while, I may be forced to retire my efforts to make Saturday a weekday, but for now 5:30 is sleeping in. Seriously, our nightlife is shot. Done. Kaput. We maintain a schedule where our friends are ramping up for an evening of drinking and socializing while we are crawling into bed for the night. If I had to pinpoint one positive above all others about the early morning hours, it’s a complete lack of traffic on my way to the gym. Oh, and I also hit all green traffic lights. That’s nice.

There it is. Week T-29 is in the books. I do hope the stories and experiences along the way get more interesting…

No comments:

Post a Comment