Saturday, January 18, 2014

29 weeks away

The time has come for me to buckle down and start preparing for my Ironman in Boulder, Colorado. I’m really quite excited about the whole experience, even though I know it’s going to be rough going the first several weeks as I adapt to working out again. I signed up for the race late in July last year, and I had in mind at that time a training plan I wanted to follow to prepare. My training plan is a 27-week block of time that begins on Monday, January 27.

Do I feel prepared to begin? No. I could talk about how I’m kind of prepared, or how I have done this and that to get ready so far…but in all honesty, no, I’m not prepared. The week of January 27th starts off right away with 11-14 hours total training volume. The good news is I have two weeks to build up to this volume (I wrote this post last week). The bad news is two weeks isn’t a lot of time, but I have started already; two weeks ago I did a strength training session that left me sore for about a week. Good thing that’s out of the way. Now I feel like light weights and low intensity will allow me to approach an 11-hour week safely. We’ll see how it goes.

We all know I’m a cyclist…I’ve ridden a bike, anyway. It is true that I haven’t raced much lately, and my training volume has been punctuated many times in the previous couple years by some major life events, like moving to Omaha, buying a home and getting married. Eh, those are my biggest excuses. Anyway, cyclists often shave their legs, and I happen to be one of those guys. Judge as you will, but I believe I’ve made shaving a man’s legs just a little more manly. Added benefit: no more red bumps! Here it is. This week, for the first time in my life, I shaved my legs…with a straight razor! As a close friend put it, “All man.” No nicks or cuts and definitely something I intend to continue. It’s meditative because I have to be so focused on what I’m doing the whole time, and I like that.
Here we are, 2014, with a new year’s resolution bigger than any I’ve made before. Boulder, Colorado, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment